After passing a 4 day course + 1 day evaluation I was able to start applying for abseiling jobs in Kaikoura region. IRATA offers these internationally accepted courses around the world. I took mine in Christchurch with Heads Up Training. It was a good course and I learned a lot of new stuff and met people who had already work in the industry for several years.
What is rope access?
Typical rope access applications include:
- Inspection, painting and construction on offshore oil platforms and power plants.
- Inspection, surveying, maintenance on wind turbines.
- Inspection, surveying, maintenance, and construction on bridges and dams.
- Window cleaning, repair and aircraft warning light maintenance on high-rise buildings.
- Maintenance on aerials, telecommunication and electrical transmission towers (pylons).
- Construction assist on stadiums, spires, and other unique shape structures.
- Inspection, documentation and access to large building façades.
- Events rigging and installations such as banners, flags, lighting and fireworks.
This list is lacking the geotechnical work which I was after. Drilling holes to mountains and putting a mesh on top to protect landslides and loose rocks from falling on the highway.